Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Novel "Pearl" by Newt Gingrich

I just completed the novel "Pearl" by Newt Gingrich. I had heard that the book was based on historical fact with some fiction thrown in. Also that it was from a Japanese point of view as well as American. I will say that I was intrigued by the way the book was written. Newt did a great job in describing how the Japanese felt, and their determination to be considered an equal to the rest of the world, even if it meant deceiving others to accomplish their goal. I knew what happened at Pearl Harbor in 1941, and how that attack affected our nation, however, I found the book very interesting and learned a little more about what led up to it. What was surprising to read was how the Japanese felt that attacking Pearl would help them achieve their goal. They had hoped that it would not lead to war but to their higher standing in the Pacific. To their dismay, it didn't turn out that way, but since they had made the first strike, they believed the destruction of our Navy would lead them to complete victory over the United States. This is the first book of the series and it starts long before the attack and ends with it. Book 2, from what I've heard picks up at that point in this series. I highly recommend to anyone interested in history to read this book.

No comments: